Like Us on Facebook!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)

Q. What is the ‘ISO’ rating for the Selkirk Fire delivery areas?
A. Call Idaho Surveying & Rating Bureau at 208/343-5483

Q. Do you have a volunteer firefighter program?
A. Yes. The Fire District is a combination career and volunteer department.

Q. Can I visit the Fire Station?
A. Yes. We highly encourage everyone to come and visit. Station tours can be scheduled by calling 208-263-3502

Q. Why is a fire engine sent when I call an ambulance?
A. Since all of our full-time firefighters are cross-trained as emergency medical technicians (intermediate), we can also provide emergency medical services on our fire engines. In order for us to respond quickly, we send a fire engine which gives us the ability to adapt to the various types of incidents that occur.

Q. What else does the fire district do other than firefighting?
A. We are trained in Emergency Medical Services, Hazardous Materials, Wildland Firefighting, High/Low Angle Rope Rescue, Confined Space Rescue, Trench Rescue, Marine Firefighting/Rescue, Vehicle Extrication.

Q. How will I know if DEQ allows burning on any given day?
A. Each day prior to burning, residents that have purchased the appropriate burn permit will need to call the DEQ, Air Quality Advisory hot line at 1-800-633-6247.

Burn Permit Reminder

Sandpoint Burn Permits

As a reminder and by city ordinance, the residents of the City of Sandpoint are allowed to burn brush, grass, weeds, and cuttings from trees, lawns or gardens. However, a resident must first obtain a burn permit from the City of Sandpoint and check with the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), Air Quality Advisory hot line to insure burning is allowed each day before they burn.

IDL Permits for Sagle and Westside Fire Districts

For all residents that live in the Sagle and Westside Fire Districts must apply for an Idaho Department of Lands permit between May 10th and October 20th. This does not apply to City of Sandpoint residents.

Bonner County Building Location Permit Approvals

Bonner County Building Permit approval from Westside and Sagle Fire Districts.
The Fire Chief or designee will be available every Tuesday 10am-12pm and every Friday 9am-11am to review requests at 1123 Lake St Sandpoint, ID (Selkirk Fire Station #1)
No appointment is needed, however, the schedule is subject to change due to fire emergencies, holidays, or other events. 
Please email the following information to Tammy Miller at regarding Bonner County Location Permits: 
1.) Platt
2.) Bonner County sign-off form
3.) Site plan
4.) Cistern receipt (If applicable)